Wednesday, July 20, 2011

:: what has been keeping my fingers and brain busy ::

Phoebe's buff beauty rose...
I love roses, drawing and beauty and this is about 40+ hours of it from me.  The rose is special as it is a lovely, gently-apricot-coloured old-fashioned musk 'Buff Beauty' rose growing steadily over the fence at Possum Bend in the Hawke's Bay, on our property there.  It is very special because it is Phoebe's favourite rose and the photo I drew from was taken by her, although I composed the image for drawing like this, from her photo.
Much was learned through this piece of art...including unexpected physical pain from some rather extended drawing sessions! It is A2 size - so, decently large - and we intend framing it for the home. I did most of the drawing in 2B and 4B and then used a nice smooth graphite PROGRESSO pencil for the dark, glossy leaves - had to darken them three times in three separate sweeps! (oh, I mean, passes!)
Became a labour of love...and in the end...dedication!
Funny thing that happened:  I worked on it the other way - portrait (vertical) and as soon as it was finished I turned it 90 degrees to the landscape view as above and suddenly decided it was much better this way.  Well, I think that was funny!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it framed... and in the 'Pool Room!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy it looks beautiful here and would love to see it in the flesh....you are a very talented lady....can't wait for your next post....♥Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, you two! Wish we had a pool room... xx

    ReplyDelete