Wednesday, August 01, 2012

:: circle of life ::

Adding this pic of 'Betty' and 'Wilma' 16/8/12
Today we moved our soggy, muddy little birds onto the bed just behind the first one I showed a photo of back on the 15th of February!
Full circle...
They look much happier - as they are now fluffing themselves up again on a comparative palace of fresh, tall mustard greens which have taken many months of slow and steady growth, during this long, cold and very wet Winter we have been having on the East Coast of New Zealand.
They even got names today - which is amazing - we have been that busy - we hadn't even got them names!!  Not our usual style.
So we have two fine, fat and fluffy Black Orpington crosses - they are now "Betty" and "Wilma" (yes, I'm a 70's telly kid), and a bunch of barnyard crosses of 'who-knows-what-they-are-but-mostly-likely-crossed-with-bantam' caramel-coloured small girls we have named "Maple", "Syrup", "Ginger", "Snap", "Russian" and (of course!) "Fudge".

My aim in blogging today is simply to break my block of not blogging and 'get one up there' - even though it's without pics - that, too, will happen!
Sometimes I find, when I've been overwhelmed, the best thing for me is to just dive right in again - and not hope for perfection or even a very high standard of result at all - just to make a start again - do something - almost a 'do anything' as a way of establishing a point to make getting going again the next time, that bit easier for me.
I often suffer from procrastination via perfectionism.

So, here we are and the hens have eaten, scratched and fertilised their way through 13 beds now and are finally showing signs of laying again, after a very dull, extended time of being off the lay.

I'd love to share some of the fun farming-related things we've been doing, such as milking a cow on Mondays and Fridays and making yoghurt and Halloumi Cheese...see you sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment