Thursday, June 06, 2013

:: snowcoat ::


you wouldn't normally get to see this - because I'd be a little reserved about going public with my 'makes'.  I was 'encouraged' to post this today :).

We have some travels planned to a home education camp in the middle of Winter - somewhere where it's highly likely there will be snow, even!  It does get cold here, but not that cold.  And Miss P did not possess a warm enough coat to help layer in the warmth....


...that is until a lovely 100% pure NZ recycled (upcycled?!) wool blanket in 'sunshine colours' snuggled up next to some floral retro sheet scraps in the ECS - 'essential creative stash' - and the above pattern (I did learn the skill of pattern-drafting, yet - for $10 I have saved myself HOURS in that rusty skill department!)


Also in our stash were some lovely old buttons, Miss P particularly liking the faceted clear glass one...and here she is - one happy and warm girl in her new 'snowcoat'.

As well, this snowcoat ticks my 'use what we've got' box - in total, I spent only the $10 for the pattern. The blanket probably cost between $2 and $10 (op-shopped long ago for another project), the sheets were left over from previous curtain-making efforts and the buttons, thread and interfacing from the 'collection'. And I feel even better for that :).


5 comments:

  1. Yay! What a gorgeous snugly creation - and you know how much I LOVE recycled wool blanket coats :) I hope you have a fantastic time at the camp. L xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lisa! hope you are feeling better :) Wendy xx

      Delete
  2. What a great coat! I'm going to have to have a go at sewing a coat for my daughter- so much great inspiration online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is wonderful how so many ideas get exposure - and I wasn't going to blog this, as I mentioned - so glad it has been inspirational - get sewing! So fun.

      Delete
  3. Your sewing skills are amazing - look at how you matched up the check. WOW. Just found your blog and am now following you. How has it taken me so long!!

    ReplyDelete