Tuesday, July 23, 2013

:: flower petal rag rug (something I've been meaning to make for ages!) ::

These past couple of days I've been working away at this mat. My energies probably could have been spent more productively, perhaps.  There is a project I really do need to be working on.

 But this sewing project grabbed me.  I've been meaning to make one of these mats for ages, you see.  Since I first saw similar mats in a holiday place in Fiji...in 2003...10 years ago!
Before I can mobilise my energies for the other project that I really do need to be attending to, I appear to have 'needed' to craft and craft and craft...
I think what I'm actually doing is the rumination and 'turning over of' in my mind what I'm about to dig into that I really do need to attend to (-you know - that other thing)...
 And in a way, creating this mat, tidies up a lot of fabric scraps into something lovely and useful.  Scraps from items of clothing I've made for Phoebe, curtains for her room, dolls clothes, op shop finds - like the, ahem, "contrasting" retro curtaining for the backing...lots of memories...
quite randomly-shaped pieces were cut - I quite like a project like this - completely freeform

and spiralling ever inward, just like my thoughts and feelings as I sew...turning over memories and imagining new ones to come out there in the future...
....is now!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks amazing!!! I have a little girl who would be so delighted to discover something like this in her room :) Loving the random colours and so cool that they are scraps from some of Phoebe's other things. Makes it a kind of a memory rug too... Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lisa - it was fun to do - and since we are on the move and I can't take those patchwork curtains with us, this will do as a memory rug rather nicely :) Wendy x

      Delete
  2. Oh how beautiful I adore the rug what an effort you must have put in , go you mama ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Honey! It was a small mission - yet totally worth it and I loved how it used all these wonderful pieces from the past - as Lisa said - like a memory rug, too xoxo

      Delete