Sunday, July 07, 2013

The Mandala Garden and Pruning the Fruit Trees


Here is our mandala garden. Wendy has been in it for two straight days and the results are amazing.
There were so many weeds to pull and there were about 50 plants (super sized) to plant. (That's right, this is Aaron reporting).

The chickens were moved first, onto a new bed. They clucked and squabbled all day - which they do - and demolished every bit of living green available. Not to many eggs though.

I have been pruning. Scared me to death I have to say. Having completed a certificate in organics and biodynamics with Taruna, I thought I would have a little more knowledge, however I found myself searching youtube for tips.

The fruit trees had not been properly shaped from the beginning and so 'water sprouts' had become large limbs and had to be 'sorted' out. If you had been watching you would have seen me up the orchard ladder looking confused, worried, pensive and all those emotions that come with having to 'deal' to a beautiful fruit tree.

The Mandala garden and its 14 or so fruit trees is now done... off to the orchard tomorrow... or sometime later.

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing. How often do you move the chooks? I'd come and eat at your house! Kale: the secret of longevity......someone might try and patent it! :-)
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello again :) The chooks are theoretically moved every two weeks. There are 13 beds - so we have 26 weeks/6months growing before the chooks come and weed and fertilise an make new mulch/scratch about/clean up a bed ready for replanting. Check out Linda Woodrow's blog http://witcheskitchen.com.au/ - her book is the inspiration for how we garden. Yep Kale everyday in many ways :)
      Wendy :)

      Delete