Wednesday, January 13, 2010

wonder plant

there's a very special plant in my garden. I wonder whether you'll guess what it is?
It is a perennial. I can rely on it to shoot forth in early Spring, beginning it's annual role. It doesn't merely shoot forth, it means business - it catapults above the earth - literally it erupts! And from that moment of sunshine meeting first pale green tips - it is relentless until the cold weather claims it back into the earth's blanket.
It has become an essential ingredient in the mix of the Permaculture Mandala Garden we have here at Possum Bend.
It encircles the garden beds in a protective, sheltering way, bunching up and enclosing, securing the contents from invading weeds and grass and helping create just the right conditions for all the other plants to thrive.
I can trim it over and over and over and OVER! And then the resulting piles of biomass I use as mulch, chook fodder, a compost ingredient, or to make compost teas...
In the Home Orchard, when planted to encircle a tree, it can drill roots down to 3 metres, depending on the soil - and then mine valuable nutrients in the form of vital minerals back up to feed the fruit trees...
... it also is a harbinger of reproduction in the gardens - it brings the bees to it's delicate pale pink bell-shaped flowers, floating like dancing girls above the foliage...
...and I have a very healthy respect for this plant, - it definitely means business - woe betide the unsuspecting gardener - with sensitive skin - wearing anything less than their full suit of protective gear to engage in a game of trimming it! (Personally, I had welts everywhere that wasn't covered by clothing - and that day I'd chosen short shorts and a singlet to work in!)
Ironically, this plant contains a skin soothing component, called allantoin - and I treated my 'burns' with a cream emulsion containing a part of the very same plant!
As well, and now I really will give it away, it is useful for helping mend sprains, bruises and one of it's names is 'knit-bone', as it does exactly that - mends broken bones!!
have you guessed? Yes, it's Comfrey - wonder plant! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment