Sunday, May 24, 2009

Felted play food

wow - this is a record from this blog - it really has been a drippy, wet, inside type of day...and this is another of our activities today...felted play food for Phoebe. I admit, most of these 'foods' were made over the last couple of weeks, here and there. Today we made the beetroot and the giant strawberry...still working on proportion - although, apparently, Phoebe's rabbits don't mind a bit, which is where it all started.Actually, to be honest, it all started in an adult attempt at halting the hundreds of thousands of TINY pieces of paper of all kinds and colours of paper that were cut up to make all manner of foods for her 'guys'. "GUYS" in itself is the definition of play: cats, dogs, rabbits, kids (dolly-type, not goat), pigs, sheep, horses, etc, etc. The week Phoebe spent up on Waiheke Island with her best friend, Lulu, was my opportunity to release some of this paper food. Well, I had NO IDEA just how many stashes of food there was in and around her room and play area. I found old tea and tissue boxes FILLED to the brim with cut up paper, crumpled tissues (new ones, I hoped!), pieces of fleece and fabric, nut shells, glass marbles and gems, tiny pieces of driftwood - a you name it, it was dinner for someone - kind of discovery ( and quite a genuine fire risk, too!). And I was definitely the intrepid explorer-cum-ruthless-destroyer! You may be thinking how come I didn't know there was all this stuff? Well, I don't know what parents of other highly creative children do - I barely keep up with the phenomenal rate of creation that absolutely steams out of this amazing child of ours - she is continually making something - so it is one of our dreaded parts of the day - tidying up or putting order back into her area of creativity and play. "I know a little gnome, who likes a very tidy home....." Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these. I have always wanted to get into either knitting or felt food for the kiddos kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! Actually rather therapeutic to make, I found - and I even felt (he he) one could add a painterly touch by layering the colours thinly to build up a more realistic shading, in the way one might with paints. These are constantly in use - I'm very pleased I took the time to make them!!

    ReplyDelete